Last Updated on
You never know when you will break a leg or a bone. Just two months ago, I went hiking with my pals. It was an awesome weekend, and we hoped to enjoy it through. However, on the last day when playing ball, I had a bad fall and broke my leg – that’s how easy it happens.
This incident opened my eyes to a world of canes, walkers, and crutches. Well, I didn’t have multiple fractures, but I still needed one of these to survive. I chose the cane, and that’s why I am going to talk about here; how to walk with a cane.
Walking with a Cane
Unlike crutches and walkers, a cane is a more conservative way to move around when you have difficulty in movement. Even so, they are easy to use. They are not complicated, and you can learn it in no time.
How Do You Walk With A Cane?
The rule of thumb when using a cane to walk is this. Always use the cane in the OPPOSITE hand to your injured leg.
Using the Cane to stand Up and Walk
In case you were seated on a chair or bed, you can use the armrest or the edge of the best to push up and stand. Then grasp your cane steady yourself. You can then move the cane forward to a shorter distance and start moving forward. Use the cane to support your weight as you lean forward to move.
Using the Cane to Sit Down on Chair
If you want to use the cane for sitting down on a chair, here is what you should do. First, back up until your legs rest against the chair. Then if you have a quad cane, put both hands on the chair’s armrest and ease down. If the cane is the standard model, then you can hold the cane with one hand as the other holds the armrest as you sit.
Precautions When Using the Cane
Whether you are using the best walking canes for women or men, here are some precautions that you have to take.
- Always make sure that you steady yourself first before you start to move
- Make sure that as you move the cane forward, it is to shorter distances
- Always ensure that your cane is set a few inches out to your side.
- You should step forward with the injured leg first as you put your weight on the cane
NOTE: After stepping out with your weaker leg, you can take a step with the stronger leg. Make sure to keep your one where you’re going. Do not look down as you move forward.
What Are the Benefits of Using the Cane?
Canes are some of the most beneficial ways for anyone who wants to move around easily. They have many benefits, such as these.
- Canes are easy to use. They are easy to learn
- Canes are very light, portable, and less exhaustive
- Most canes are adjustable and thus have no strain
- Canes cost less than crutches and walkers
- Canes are easy to customize and come in all models
Who Can Use the Cane?
Canes just like crutches and walkers can be used by many people. Some of these people include the following.
- People with broken leg or bone
- Anyone that’s is from surgery
- Someone with bad knees
- If you have bent back due to old age
- Guys who need support to move around
- In case you suffer from arthritis
NOTE: It is good to understand your cane. Learn how to use a cane with a bad knee and how to go about it in case of surgery. In addition to that, it is important to seek medical advice before using the cane. Are you know how to use crutches ?
How to Avoid Falls with the Cane
Accidents can happen even when you have your cane to support you. However, with a little care, you should be able to avert them. You can do the following:
- Make sure the condition of the cane is good
- Confirm if your cane has grooved rubber tips at the bottom of its leg
- Avoid using the cane over throw rugs or even waxed floors
- Make sure that you remain careful when on slippery/wet surfaces
Learning how to walk with a cane is easy. With these tips that I have here, you will be good to go. They have been of help to me, and I am glad I could share it with you. Even so, make sure you get the perfect cane for your use.